Jesus said to the servants, “Fill the jars with water”;
so they filled them to the brim.
~John 2:7 NIV
Too many times we try to get away with giving just a little, believing just a little, serving just a little, loving just a little. We scrimp, assuming we might run out or when it comes to faith and love… we fear we might be disappointed, so we go part-way.
To The Brim
I love how the servants working at the wedding in Cana were found going all in! They heard Jesus command to “Fill the jars with water” and they filled them “to the brim”. Six water pots I wonder what would have happened if they just filled the jars half full? Would the miracle still have taken place? Sure, maybe it would have but it wouldn’t have affected as many people’s lives. Matthew 7:2 says, with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” So, let’s talk measurements. According to research, the water jars would have held around 20 gallons of water1. Just to compare size in your mind, the average keg (half barrel) only holds 15.5 gallons of beer2. “The standard pour for a glass of wine is five ounces”.3 20 gallons is equal to 2560 ounces divided by 5ounces equals 512.4 So, Jesus made about 512 more glasses of wine for the guests at a wedding held in a small town where the nearest city was bout 400 people. That’s a lot of wine for probably not a lot of people. These servants got to see a BIG miracle that day. The guests were brought into that miracle to the level of the servant’s faith.
Let’s go all in this year and believe BIG miraculous thoughts about what God can do!
Father… I’m thankful You promise that even if I only have faith the size of a mustard seed (which is really, really tiny), You can do GREAT things. God, I ask you for a gift of faith5 to believe that you can and will do the miraculous. In Jesus Name…Amen
DRAWING FROM THE WELL
- John 2:7
- Matthew 7:2
- Matthew 17:20
- Matthew 13:31-32
All in by Matthew West
Official Youtube Video: https://youtu.be/UUc86gfzToU
If you liked the refreshing in this #SoulH2O devotion, you’ll love my latest Soul H2O Devotional book: 40 Thirst Quenching Devotions for Women.
- https://biblehub.com/commentaries/john/2-6.htm Biblehub Website Accessed: 2020-01-08
- https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/04/how-many-beers-are-in-a-keg.html Website Accessed: 2020-01-08
- https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+average+size+glass+of+wine&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA775CA776&oq=what+is+the+average+size+glass+of+wine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.9052j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 , https://www.healthline.com/health-news/drinking-more-blame-your-wine-glass#1 Websites Accessed: 2020-01-08
- https://www.google.com/search?q=gallons+into+ounces&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA775CA776&oq=gallons+into+ounces&aqs=chrome..69i57j6j0.4120j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 Website Accessed: 2020-01-08
- https://biblehub.com/bsb/1_corinthians/12.htm Website Accessed: 2020-01-08